Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Baguio Faves and Finds

Just got back from a nice weekend in Baguio with my brother and his family.  It was Ate's first time to go to Baguio and her first out of town trip with her cousins.  Before the trip, I was planning on blogging about it, from start to finish, especially the in-betweens.  I even read foodie blogs hoping we can go for some gastronomic adventure in the City of Pines (I have my  list!).  So I thought. . . because the truth is, I won't be able to, haha!  I have a few, but how I wish I can do some more!  It's just that having four active, curious kids (a couple of toddlers, a naughty 4-yr old and a precocious 6-yr old) requires great skill, strength. . . and PATIENCE!  Haha!  It was a challenge to take photos AND chase my toddler!  That is why I have a few photos and stories to share.  The gastronomic adventure I was hoping for?  It didn't happen!  But it's okay =)  This trip was for the kids.  The most important thing is they had fun. . . and they can't wait to go back! 


One of the things I want to share with you are the goodies which I got from Baguio =)

Since we were staying at the Baguio Country Club (BCC), we got their banana cake (one of their best sellers, the other best seller is Raisin Bread) as pasalubong (gift).  We also got some raising bonnets which we found good.  (Tip:  We don't have to go to BCC for some raisin bonnets.  French Baker also has good ones!)


Another favorite stop for pasalubong is the Good Shepherd Convent.  They offer a wide range of goodies.  Their most popular item is the Ube Jam.  Other popular items are their Strawberry Jam and Peanut Brittle.  They do offer a wide range of food items (different cookies, other peanut items and preserves. . . I even saw santol champoy!)  For easier reference, there is a display shelf which indicates the price and size of the item.  You just have to list down what you want to buy, bring your list to the cashier and pay.  (They accept credit cards.)


I got these =)


I told my brother I want to get some Ilocos blankets since Hubby and I love the first one we got (as a present).  Since we didn't have time to go to the Baguio Market, we just went to Mines View Park.  

Got my blanket . . . and a back scratcher!  Haha!

I suggest you buy this kind of scratcher if you want one that really does a good job!  It is made of Kamagong (if my memory serves me right) which is a harder wood as compared to the ordinary ones.

For Lengua de Gato, Rico's is our preferrerd brand.  We also got to try a new brand for peanut brittle, Baguio Sweets by Mother's Best.  (Romana's is actually the most popular one).  We got it because its expiry date is in the bottle, haha!  It says May 2014.  I buy food items that are at least a year before its expiry or best before date. . . especially for peanut food items.  Don't you just hate it when the nuts taste rancid already?  

Just in case you're wondering. . . . yes, we loved the peanut brittle!  They taste like. . . I'm glad we bought it and should have bought some more!  Haha!


And just for laughs, I got my sister . . . 

a Barrel Man!

This is probably one of the most popular pasalubong from Baguio.  If you are a Filipino, you  know why.

And if you haven't acquainted yourself with Mr. Barrel Man here, here is something from Wikipedia that would help you:
barrel man or barrelman is a souvenir doll or statuette popular in the Philippines. The statuette usually consists of a crude male figurine carved out of wood, partially hidden inside a round wooden barrel. When the barrel is taken off, the male figure inside is revealed, sporting a prominent phallic protrusion in the lower part of the figure's anatomy.


While going aroung the Club's Greenhouse, I saw these cute of argyle print garden boots of Manong Hardinero and I'm totally crushing over them!  I asked him where I can get those and he said that I should be able to find them at the Baguio Market. . . which we weren't able to go to.

Aren't they the cuuuttest?!

So these boots are in my list. . . for the next Baguio trip!  Heehee

But my most favorite thing from our Baguio trip is having some "just you and me" time with my precious little girl.  It feels nice to sleep and wake up beside her (again) . . . something which I've been missing.    

But I got to tell you. . . I think we (us, the adults!) need a vacation from this vacation!  Haha!

Hope you had an enjoyable weekend too! =)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...