Saturday, September 13, 2014

A First - Pancakes from Scratch!

I've blogged about our favorite pancake mix in an earlier post.  But after having a filling and satisfying breakfast at The Original Pancake House (blogged about it here), I was inspired to try making pancakes from scratch for a change! Haha =)

So for the past two weeks, I have been googling for pancake recipes and to date, I have tried three recipes!  I know, I was on a roll! Haha =)  

The first one I tried was from Pioneer Woman (love her and her show at Food Network).  The only problem was I didn't have cake flour (her recipe's essential ingredient).  So I just googled for alternatives and stumbled upon the post of Joy the Baker which gives instructions on how to make a cake flour substitute.  So after reading two (very helpful!) blog posts . . . . 

TADAHHHH!!!!

My first Pancake from scratch!


I was actually satisfied how it turned out.  I plan to do this recipe again and add a little bit more of sugar in it.  This is a good basic pancake recipe where you can add your favorite ingredients like blueberry, choco chip, etc.  

The other day, I had some overripe bananas so I thought why not do banana pancakes!  Banana Pancakes are one of my faves.

The first banana pancake recipe I made was from All Recipes.  I used only one banana (recipe says two) since some of the reviews for this recipe suggested using one banana only.  The batter was actually runny that I wasn't surprised that the pancakes turned out thin, a little thin for my liking. Hubby didn't mind this though.  I wanted fluffier pancakes.  However, one thing I like about this recipe was you can taste the banana.  

    


The second recipe I tried was from Kitchen Treaty.  

The recipe requires buttermilk.  If you don't have buttermilk (like I did), don't worry!  Because you can create a substitute for it.  

How?  

Just add one tablespoon of acid ( like lemon or vinegar) for every one cup of milk and let it sit for 5-10 mins =).

I followed the recipe as it is. . . plus a dash of cinnamon powder (because I think bananas and cinnamon go well together).

This batch of pancakes turned out better (they're fluffy) and prettier, haha!  And they taste good too!  

Hubby agrees. =) 

As they say, "Third time is a charm".  I'm glad I found one recipe I can go back to for some homemade, old-fashioned pancakes!  

Banana Pancakes with --- Syrup, Nutella or Peanut Butter?! 









No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...