Tuesday, September 30, 2014

No to Food Waste! (Repurposing bread trimmings)

Growing up, one of the most valuable lessons my parents taught me was not to waste food.  Their most favorite line when we were seated at the dining table? "Finish your food".  They meant ALL of it, including each grain of rice.  Oh and it didn't stop there.  They end that statement with . . . "You are blessed because there are kids who don't have anything to eat".   I think this is why I didn't become a picky eater.  I wasn't picky AT ALL . . . that they had to control me, haha!

This morning, I didn't have the heart to throw the bread trimmings we got from the cookie cutter sandwiches I made for the Princess.

A sample of the bread trimmings (this one had Nutella in it so I ate it as it is)

I had some that didn't have any spread so I thought of turning them to croutons since we are having some Cream of Broccoli soup for lunch (NOT homemade, thank you Campbell's!).  I love putting croutons in creamy soups for that added crunch and texture.

So I made some using a non-stick pan and it is easy as 1-2-3.

1. Chop the bread into small pieces.
2. Coat your pan with butter and then put your bread cubes
3. Over medium heat, toss them frequently until they get toasted (the way you like them) and crunchy.  By the way, I seasoned them with a little bit of salt and garlic powder too for some flavor.


They are just what I need to make our bowl of soup, (though it was from a can) a little bit more special.  


Say NO to food waste!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...