Sunday, September 14, 2014

Have you heard of Sipo Egg?

I hope you don't mind if you've been reading mostly about food and my kitchen adventures recently. Since we moved to LA last May, I've been cooking and baking and cooking (and washing the dishes).  There are two reasons why:  First, because we had to, haha!  Second, because I love being in the kitchen.  Thanks to my Mom who forced  . . . I mean, encouraged me to help in the kitchen every Saturday morning when I was growing up.  I guess being a Kapampangan (proud to be one) plays a role too.  We are known to be one of the best cooks in our country! =)  But I am far from being one, haha!  Let's just say I can find my way in the kitchen . =)  

I am following a few cooking blogs and one of them is Panlasang Pinoy.  The most recent recipe he posted was "Sipo Egg" which he says is a Kapampangan dish!  And to this I say. . . Shame on ME!!!!  I actually didn't know this and that the dish I've been eating during fiesta and other special occasions is called "Sipo Egg".  I just call it. . . Green Peas!  Haha!  I am not sure what sets it apart from the standard Shrimp with Green Peas and Quail Eggs dish we know.  But I guess it is because of the creamy white sauce this dish has.  

It is such a quick and easy recipe to do!  Succulent shrimps that are bathe in a creamy sauce and add to that some sweetness from the peas and crunch from the water chestnut?  Definitely a crowd pleaser!  

From the original recipe, I did a little tweaking.  I added a teaspoon of of fish sauce when I was sauteeing the dish and a little bit of lemon juice (because the dish might be too "shrimpy" for me).  I also used chicken stock instead of shrimp juice (did I say "shrimpy"? Haha) and added some red bell peppers (just because I have some leftovers in the fridge).

So as a homage to my roots and my beloved Pampanga (my province),  I made this dish for lunch today.   

Homesickness is kicking in. . . . *sigh*

Happy Weekend everyone!



The recipe posted below is the original recipe from Panlasang Pinoy

Ingredients
  • 1 lb. large shrimp, head and shell removed and deveiened
  • 20 pieces boiled quail eggs
  • 1 small yellow onion minced
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • ¼ cup butter
  • 1 tablespoon cooking oil
  • 1½ cups frozen green peas
  • 1 medium carrot, cubed
  • ¾ cup water
  • 4 ounces ham, minced (optional)
  • 1 can (10 oz.) cream of mushroom
  • ¾ cup water chestnut or singkamas, cubed
  • ½ cup table cream or heavy whipping cream
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. Melt the butter in a cooking pan.
  2. Add the cooking oil.
  3. Once the mixture becomes hot, saute the shrimp for a minute per side.
  4. Remove the shrimp and set aside.
  5. Meanwhile, saute the onion and garlic.
  6. Put-in the carrot and green peas. Add the ham (this is an optional ingredient).Cook for 3 minutes.
  7. Pour-in the water (I used water with shrimp juice in the video).Let it boil. Cook for 1 minute.
  8. Add the quail eggs and shrimp.Stir.
  9. Pour-in the cream of mushroom and table cream. Stir once more until the ingredients are well distributed.
  10. Add water chestnuts, salt and pepper.
  11. Transfer to a serving bowl.
  12. Serve. Share and enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...