Saturday, October 4, 2014

DOUGH-NUT Throw!

We had some day (DAYS actually, haha!) old donuts sitting at the counter which were staring at me. They look lonely. . . dull and lifeless. . .

See what I mean? Haha!

We had some before and I made French Toast out of them.  I could have done the same thing for this batch but I think even a French Toast can't save them, haha!  They weren't hard as a rock (not yet. . . but just about to turn to, haha) but they have become dry.

So I googled for some recipes and found. . . DOUGHNUT BREAD PUDDING!!!! (Ting,ting,ting,ting!)

Why not right?!

I got the recipe from the All Recipes website.  

Here are the ingredients:

4 stale glazed donuts
1/2 cup raisins or other dried fruit
2 eggs (room temperature)
1 can of evaporated milk (12 oz)
2 tbsps of white sugar (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Notes: 

1. I didn't put any raisins in it because Hubby HATES them (while I love them!)

2. I didn't put white sugar because it might get too sweet because the donuts had glaze on them . . . but I was wrong, haha!  A couple of tablespoons won't hurt, heehee.  My solution?  Vanilla sauce!  Please see recipe below.

3. Didn't put almond extract and nutmeg because I didn't have any (but still, the pudding came out good, so if you don't have any, don't worry)

4. I used lemon juice instead of orange zest (if you don't have lemon or orange, you can use orange juice)
Btw, here is a useful link for different cooking/baking ingredient substitutions =)

5. I didn't do the water bath (pls. see #3 step in the baking directions).  I just placed my baking dish right in the oven. 


Baking Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).  Lightly grease a small baking dish.

2. Tear the donuts into bite-size pieces. Combine donut pieces and raisins in the prepared baking dish. In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to blend together the eggs, evaporated milk, sugar, vanilla extract and almond extract. Mix in the cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour the milk mixture over the donuts in the dish, and press down lightly to help absorption. Let stand for 15 minutes, or cover and refrigerate overnight.



3. 
Place the baking dish inside a larger baking dish, and fill the outer dish with enough water to go about halfway up the sides. A dishcloth may also be placed under the bread dish, to prevent drying.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm.








By the way, I always (always!) eat my bread pudding with vanilla sauce.  Since the recipe didn't come with one, I searched and found a good one in the same site.

Vanilla Sauce

Ingredients:
1/2 light brown sugar
1 pinch of ground cinnamon
1 egg
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 1/4 cups whole milk
1 pinch of salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Directions:
For vanilla sauce, whisk 1/2 cup of light brown sugar, the flour, a pinch of cinnamon, 1 egg, 2 tablespoons of melted butter, 1 1/4 cups of whole milk,and salt together in a heavy saucepan until smooth. Heat over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and the sauce coats the back of a spoon, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract. Pour sauce over warm bread pudding, or serve on the side in a bowl.

And here is your reward. . . . 


A warm bread pudding with a creamy and custard-like vanilla sauce!

So comforting. . . . =)

WIshing everyone a nice weekend ahead!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...