Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Ramen Sunday

There is a Ramen craze going on in Manila that I've lost count of the Ramen places that I've been reading in food blogs!  

Over the weekend, we were in Glorietta and were looking for a place to have  lunch a late lunch.  When you are with a toddler who loves soup and noodles, it's either you go Chinese or Japanese!  Then I remembered a new Ramen place in Glorietta which just opened early this year.  Actually, I had to ask Concierge what the the name was because I couldn't remember what it was!  Haha!  

Hokkaido Ramen Santouka (a franchise which originated from Hokkaido, Japan) is a fairly small restaurant.  It has a nice interior, proper lighting and a cool air-conditioning system!  (If you're a Filipino, a restaurant which has a good air-conditioning system earns an extra star! Haha!). . . love the place's ambiance and vibe.  =) 

Image from Ramen Santouka's FB page

Menu items include Ramen (of course, haha!), a few Rice Bowls, Salad, Side Dishes and Dessert.  I find the menu limited though.  I was hoping they would have some Japanese rolls or Makis. . . okay, I know, IT IS a Ramen place!  Haha!  But just saying. . . 

(If you want to see their menu, please click this link.)

I ordered Shio Ramen for Ate.  "Shio" means salt.  I always get this type of broth for Ramen.  I haven't tried Shoyu (soy sauce) or Miso though.    


I asked for a Bowl for Ate and when the staff learned that it was for her, they gave me this . . .

Cute noh?  How nice of them to think of their young diners!

My sister had Tonkatsu Curry Rice (sorry, wasn't able to take a picture of it) and for myself, I ordered a Small Ramen and Tonkatsu Meal Set which came with a small salad (it was a really small bowl, it was a cute bowl, haha!  Loved the sesame dressing!) , a fave of mine --- Chawan mushi (steamed egg) and tea. 



Such a beautiful, golden-fried Tonkatsu!  
The Tonkatsu sauce came in a jar and a serving of black and white sesame seeds which I believe should be crushed and then mix the sauce with it (just like what I've seen in other Tonkatsu places). But I didn't bother to ask the staff anymore about the sesame seeds simply because . . . I was really hungry starving!  Yes, I had a low EQ that moment, Haha!


When I saw that the pork cutlet was thick, my fear was it's going to be chewy.  This is one of the few times when I'm happy to say that I was wrong!  It was tender and I didn't have a problem cutting and chewing it.  

I loved everything we ordered.  The Ramen is really good (broth, noodles and all), the cutlet was tender and I like the sauce that came with it.  The food came in big portions---their small bowl of Ramen is filling already and their Set Meal can be easily shared by 2 people.

Hokkaido Ramen Santouka is the first Ramen place in Manila I have tried and I know there are other Ramen places that I still need to check out.  But I had a nice meal in this place and loved everything about it.  The casual and relaxing ambiance of the place, nice staff and of course, food that is good and filling!

I will definitely come back . . . even if they don't have any Makis!  Haha! =)

For more details about Hokkaido Ramen Santouka Philippines, please visit their FB page.

Ramen Santouka
G/F Glorietta 4
Ayala Center, Makati City
(Across the Food Court entrance of SM Makati) 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...