Friday, November 2, 2012

Chicken Ampalaya with Oyster Sauce

Growing up, there were two vegetables that I don't eat, ampalaya (bitter gourd) and okra (lady's fingers).  But today, these are two of my faves!  I just hope the Little one would also learn to eat them too.

I saw a yummy photo of an ampalaya recipe from Overseas Pinoy Cooking's blog.  It is an easy to cook recipe and what's so nice about it is I have the ingredients I need at home!  (Looove it!)

So I cooked this Chicken Ampalaya with Oyster Sauce for dinner and I'm happy to say, it is another kitchen-tested, husband-approved recipe!

I just did a little bit of tweaking from the original recipe.


1) I used chicken breast instead of thighs

2) After slicing the ampalaya, I soaked them in water to remove some bitterness (this cooking tip was from Zola's Dad)

3) I added 1 chopped tomato. . .  only because I love tomatoes!  Haha!

4) Didn't use cornstarch anymore to thicken the sauce since it kind of thickened up while it was simmering.

But I am sharing with you the full recipe of Overseaspinoy Cooking for your reference.

Happy Cooking!



Ingredients:

1 kilo chicken tights, deboned, sliced into strips
1-2 large size, ampalaya, split in halves de-seeded, sliced crosswise
1 medium size onion, chopped
1/2 head garlic, chopped
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup oyster sauce
1/4 cup cornstarch
salt and pepper
cooking oil

 Marinate chicken strips in soy sauce, cornstarch and a dash of salt and pepper for 10 to 15 minutes. In a wok, heat cooking oil and stir fry the chicken in batches until color changes to brown and start to sizzle, set aside. Using the same wok saut√© garlic and onion until fragrant. Add in the ampalaya and stir cook for 1 to 2 minutes then add in 1/4 to 1/3 cup of water. Continue to cook another 2 to 3 minutes or until the ampalaya is just cooked. Add in the chicken and oyster sauce and stir cook for another 1 to 3 minutes. Thicken sauce with cornstarch diluted in 1/4 cup of water, cook for anther half a minute until sauce thickens. Correct saltines if required. Serve hot with a lot of rice.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...