Friday, November 2, 2012

Chicken Ampalaya with Oyster Sauce

Growing up, there were two vegetables that I don't eat, ampalaya (bitter gourd) and okra (lady's fingers).  But today, these are two of my faves!  I just hope the Little one would also learn to eat them too.

I saw a yummy photo of an ampalaya recipe from Overseas Pinoy Cooking's blog.  It is an easy to cook recipe and what's so nice about it is I have the ingredients I need at home!  (Looove it!)

So I cooked this Chicken Ampalaya with Oyster Sauce for dinner and I'm happy to say, it is another kitchen-tested, husband-approved recipe!

I just did a little bit of tweaking from the original recipe.


1) I used chicken breast instead of thighs

2) After slicing the ampalaya, I soaked them in water to remove some bitterness (this cooking tip was from Zola's Dad)

3) I added 1 chopped tomato. . .  only because I love tomatoes!  Haha!

4) Didn't use cornstarch anymore to thicken the sauce since it kind of thickened up while it was simmering.

But I am sharing with you the full recipe of Overseaspinoy Cooking for your reference.

Happy Cooking!



Ingredients:

1 kilo chicken tights, deboned, sliced into strips
1-2 large size, ampalaya, split in halves de-seeded, sliced crosswise
1 medium size onion, chopped
1/2 head garlic, chopped
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup oyster sauce
1/4 cup cornstarch
salt and pepper
cooking oil

 Marinate chicken strips in soy sauce, cornstarch and a dash of salt and pepper for 10 to 15 minutes. In a wok, heat cooking oil and stir fry the chicken in batches until color changes to brown and start to sizzle, set aside. Using the same wok sauté garlic and onion until fragrant. Add in the ampalaya and stir cook for 1 to 2 minutes then add in 1/4 to 1/3 cup of water. Continue to cook another 2 to 3 minutes or until the ampalaya is just cooked. Add in the chicken and oyster sauce and stir cook for another 1 to 3 minutes. Thicken sauce with cornstarch diluted in 1/4 cup of water, cook for anther half a minute until sauce thickens. Correct saltines if required. Serve hot with a lot of rice.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...