Thursday, May 28, 2015

Hello DTF, we meet again!

DTF stands for Din Tai Fung.  It is a restaurant which originated from Taiwan and is known for their Xiao Long Bao (aka soup dumplings).

The first time I tried DTF was when I was still working for a bank (that never sleeps, haha!) and had the opportunity to travel across Asia.  This restaurant never fails to attract a crowd!  Yep, be it in Asia . . . or LA!

We went to South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa and saw the restaurant by chance!  


As always, blockbuster ang pila!  (*pila means queue---Filipinos like to call long queues as "blockbuster" in ordinary/everday conversation) 

Since this brand originated from Asia (where it is popular), it is expected that diners are mostly Asians.  So it is funny to see the reaction of some people (who are not familiar with DTF) when they see the looong line for the place.  It ranges from curiosity to amazement!  Haha!

And this is what they we were lining up for:

Xiao Long Bao!


Xiao Long Bao are dumplings which have broth inside.  Eating it is actually tricky because you have to make sure you catch all that delicious broth!  You got to have a technique!

Mine goes like this. . . I put the dumpling in a spoon (referring to the Chinese spoon), make a really small hole so some of the broth would go out slowly,then I start slurping away until what is left is the dumpling. . . waiting to be eaten.  (Okay, this is the best way I can describe it, haha)

Personally, I'm not fond of Xiao Long Baos but I love DTF's because the thickness of the dumpling's skin/dough (whatever it is called, haha) is just right. 

My personal favorite from this restaurant is their Shrimp and Pork Wontons in Spicy Sauce!


Why?  Because I love dumplings and I love anything spicy!  I'll let this photo do the talking, haha!  



They are also known for their Pork Chop which we also ordered because the kids like fried rice . . . and hubby loves pork chop!

We loved this too!

In our succeeding visits to the restaurant, we tried their noodles . . .
Noodles with Sesame Sauce

Chicken Fried Noodle

Both were just okay.  Between the two, I prefer the Noodles with Sesame Sauce because it has a mild nutty flavor which I like.    

I love DTF because it is a good place to eat something tasty (Asian food is still the best for me!) and filling!  

And for a mom who has toddlers who love to eat rice and noodles, this is heaven-sent!    

Din Tai Fung
3333 Bristol St.,
Space 2071 Upper Level
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Operating Hours
Monday-Friday - 11AM - 9:30 PM
Saturday - 10AM - 9:30 PM
Sunday - 10AM - 9PM


For more details about  Din Tai Fung (USA) and their other locations, please visit their web page.





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...