Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Something Fishy

Photo Source

The first time I got pregnant, I read up on everything about Pregnancy, what to expect, the dos and don'ts, what to eat, what NOT to eat . . . . until Zola's Dad told me that if I follow everything I read, I 'll end up eating nothing! Haha!

But one of the things I took note of was to be careful with eating fish since some of them have a high mercurial content.  It is dangerous for a pregnant woman to be exposed to Mercury because this liquid metal can damage the developing baby's nervous system and can also cause brain damage (scaarrryyy right?)

So now that I'm pregnant (again), I googled (again!) and found a list from the American Pregnancy Association website.

Here's the list of fish (and shellfish) with the highest and lowest mercurial content:

Highest Mercury
  • Marlin
  • Orange roughy
  • Tilefish
  • Swordfish
  • Shark
  • Mackerel (King)
  • Tuna (Big Eye, Ahi) - Shame. . . I love Tuna!

High Mercury (No more than three 6oz servings per month)
  • Sea Bass (Chilean) - Sea Bass!!!! Noooooo. . . *sad face here*
  • Blue Fish
  • Grouper
  • Mackerel (Spanish, Gulf)
  • Tuna (Canned, White Albacore)
  • Tuna (Yellowfin)

Lowest Mercury  (Two 6oz servings per week)
  • Anchovies
  • Butterfish
  • Catfish
  • Clam
  • Crab (Domestic)
  • Crayfish/Crawfish
  • Croacker
  • Flounder
  • Haddock
  • Hake
  • Herring
  • Mackerel (N Atlantic, Chub)
  • Mullet
  • Oysters
  • Perch (Ocean)
  • Plaice
  • Salmon (Canned, Fresh)
  • Sardines
  • Scallops
  • Shad (American)
  • Shrimps
  • Sole
  • Squid
  • Tilapia
  • Trout
  • Whitefish
  • Whiting
Okay, I'm only familiar with half of what is in this list (Haha!) but it's okay. . .nice to know that I can eat tilapia, salmon, shrimps, squid, sole and SCALLOPS!!!  (If I can't have Sea Bass, Scallops would be perfectly fine!)  

I'm a happy camper!  =)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...