Friday, February 13, 2015

German Potato Pancakes

 I was craving for some McD's hash browns one morning and since hubby was not yet home (he's on night shift), I thought of making my own hash brown, searched for a recipe online. . . and ended up making German Potato Pancakes!  They're still hash browns to me. . . .just with a fancier name, haha!

The original recipe was from allrecipes.com.  I tweaked it a bit and got ideas from other recipes which I saw and at the end, I had a crispy, tasty, one-is-not enough hash brown. . . . I mean German potato pancakes! 

If you had enough french fries, mashed or baked potato, this is a great way (may not be the healthy though, haha!) to enjoy potatoes! =)

Happy Cooking!




Ingredients:

2 eggs
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
*garlic and onion powder for added seasoning
6 medium potatoes, peeled and shredded (I used Russet potatoes)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup vegetable oil 


Directions:

This is the additional step I did for this recipe because I read that doing this would take out the starch and moisture from the potatoes and would make the pancakes crispy.

1. Shred the potatoes and let them drop over a bowl of cold water.  Add the shredded onion too in this bowl.  Let it rest for 30 minutes, rinse, drain and squeeze repeatedly to remove all moisture and excess liquid.  (I used also paper towels to dry the potato/onion mixture).

2. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.  Mix in the potatoes and onion.

3.Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  In batches, drop heaping tablespoonfuls of the potato mixture into the skillet.  Press to flatten.  Cook about 3 minutes on each side, until browned and crisp.  Drain on paper towels.









No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...