Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Bangkok Adventure: Food Diary

As a follow up to my last post, I am going to share with you some of our food adventures.  Honestly we were not able to do much "culinary exploration" in Bangkok (fancy name lang for food tripping, haha) as much as we would like to because there are some days when we are just too tired to go out, haha!

Here are snapshots from our food diary:

We only saw a limited number of street food during our stay in the city as we did not have enough time to go on a Street Food adventure.

(I googled and am saving this blog post about Street Food in Bangkok from migrationology.com for future reference!)

When we went to the Night Market across our hotel, we tried this BBQ pork sausage which hubby liked because it tasted like our the Pinoy Vigan longganisa.


We also tried fresh fruits.  The watermelon and pineapple (I love that its core was crunchy) were just okay.  All the fruits were refreshing but the melon was our favorite because it was sweet! 


Fresh fruits come with a dip that consists of sugar, salt and chilies.



There was one evening where we just bought food in the different food stalls that we found near our hotel and just ate at our room. (Picnic!!!) 


The Chicken satay was good!

Across the Platinum Mall, we saw this place that sells Chicken Rice (similar to Singapore's Hainanese Chicken) that is a favorite among the locals.  Personally I am not fond of any kind of Hainanese Chicken but if I have to choose between Singapore and Bangkok's version, I would pick Singapore. ๐Ÿ˜

But it is always a good idea to try local favorites right?! ๐Ÿ˜„



Lining up for Take-Out (or Take Away as the locals say)


Details:
Go-Ang Kaomunkai Pratunam
Hainanese Chicken Rice
Address: 
966 Phetchaburi Rd, Khwaeng Makkasan, 
Khet Ratchathewi, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 
10400, Thailand
(across Platinum Mall)
*just look out for the pink logo and the staff wearing pink ๐Ÿ˜


Beside the Chicken place is a stall that sells Mango Sticky Rice (a must eat when in Bangkok!)



We also ordered Oyster Omelette, Thai Basil Chicken and a Noodle dish from this man. 



One morning, I saw these fresh fruits and just had to buy Lanzones and Mangosteen (both were sweeettt!) because I miss having them!  These are some of the fruits I miss eating since moving to LA.  I wanted to buy the Atis (custard apple) but I wasn't willing to pay the price for it, haha! ๐Ÿ˜†  Besides, the seller said they were not in season (so they might not be sweet then.  Thank you to her for being honest!)


We have also tried several food courts and my most favorite is the Paragon Food Hall located at Siam Paragon Mall because it's big and it has a wide range of food choices.


Tip: Some food courts do not accept cash.  You have to avail of a prepaid card from a counter and load it up.  I suggest you go around first to see what you like and how much it would cost so you have an idea on the amount you need.    If you have a remaining balance on your card, you can just ask for a monetary refund from the cashier after.


Just like Mango Sticky Rice, Pad Thai is synonymous with Bangkok.


I can never get enough of this Thai iced dessert!  I think I ate it three times during our stay!  It is a mix of different sweet treats like jack fruit, sweet potato, taro, corn, water chestnuts (my fave!) , tapioca, gelatin, etc. and then bathed in coconut milk.



And because we couldn't get enough of Mango Sticky Rice (haha!), we just had to try Dairy Queen's interpretation of this Thai food speciatly in Blizzard form! 


I know, it sounds weird and you could not imagine having sticky in your ice cream but you know what, this rocks!  You have to try it. 

It makes me (and my tummy! Haha) sad that we weren't able to try more culinary delights that Bangkok has to offer.  It is truly a food haven that is rich both in sweet and savory treats!

This can only mean one thing. . . . I see another trip to Bangkok in the future! Haha!

And if you go to Bangkok, I wish you a food trip that would make  your tummies happy!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...