Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Bangkok Adventure: Trip to Ot Tor Kor Market

As I've mentioned in my previous post, we went to Bangkok for vacation with my Mom and my sister.  When in Bangkok, Food and Shopping tops the list of course!  But my Mom is not big on these two things.  So my sister thought that she would enjoy a trip to a local market (one thing that she loves is fruits!).  My sister read about Ot Tor Kor Market in some travel blogs that she came across and it was also recommended by the Hotel's Concierge so off we went!

We (minus Hubby and the kids) left the hotel around 8am.  The Market is around 8 kms away from the hotel, about 30-40 mins ride (depending on the traffic).   

Personally, I was looking forward to it because I love going to local markets because you get to have a feel of being a local.  You can find so many things in Ot Tor Kor Market. . . fresh seafood, vegetables, different kind of fruits, spices, Thai ingredients, cooked food, snacks, etc.  This place is truly a feast for the senses!

Trivia: Did you know that Ot Tor Kor Market is included in CNN's list for 10 of the World's Best Markets?!

I think we enjoyed our trip to the market because it wasn't too crowded.  I would suggest going there in the morning (by 9am) on a weekday.  I can just imagine that weekends can be crazy!  By the way, this place is also near the Chatuchak Market.

There are two words I can use to describe the market. . . CLEAN




and COLORFUL!  




It is a joy to just walk through each aisle and look around and see what they have.



So pretty. . .Makopa Fruit (as what Filipinos call them).
The English name for this fruit is Wax Apple or Java Apple.

Two of my favorite fruits: Mangosteen and Lychees!

I love Santol too!
(Btw, not that I am biased but for me, Philippines has the best mangoes in the whole world!)
The seller told me that the red ones are Jackfruit.

Fruits from other countries are also sold here like these grapes from Australia


and Cherries from the US




I wish we came here for lunch! It was just too early for us to try these, haha

But I had to try these.. . one of my favorite Thai appetizers, Fish Cakes!

We bought a box of these "hopia" (as Filipinos call them) with different fillings
and we loved them that we bought a second box!

We love the crust of this curry puff.

Thai "kakanin"

Thai Snacks - Dried Seafood


It was interesting to see that they put coconut cream (or coconut milk, I'm not sure) in their BBQ.  I know this sounds odd but they were actually good.  You can't taste the coconut at all.

You can say that walking through the market surely works up an appetite!  It does. . .  not because it is tiring but because of the food you see!  Haha!

The market also has a place where you can sit down and eat so if you plan on doing some food tripping, GOOOOO! =)


We did! =)


It was nice having some "girl time" with my Mom and sister in the middle of this market, haha.  You can say that we left with our hearts and tummies, happy and full. =)



Ot Tor Kor Market
Address: 139/4 1, Samsen Nai, Phaya Thai, 
Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10400, Thailand


















No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...