Sunday, January 24, 2016

Recipe Hacks: McD's Big Mac Sauce

I am not really a hamburger person.  Between a hotdog and a hamburger sandwich, I would pick a hotdog!

However, there are times that a hamburger sounds good!  One of my favorite guilty pleasures is McDonald's Big Mac.  One may argue that it is not one of the best fast food burgers but there is something about it that I keep coming back to.  I love it because of its tangy sauce!  Yes,  that orange-y sauce is what makes it (in my book) and it is NOT a Thousand Island dressing! Haha!

The other day, I tried a Chicken meatball recipe but they came out of the oven like a patty (not meatballs, haha) so I thought of just using them to make sliders.  (P.S. The kids still enjoyed the "meatballs turned patty" with rice and teriyaki sauce!  So. . .always keep a bottle of Teriyaki sauce at home to save the day! Haha)

I haven't had a Big Mac for quite some time so I went online to look for a recipe for the sauce and picked two recipes (from topsecretrecipes and Chow Hound) and just did a mash up.

What makes these recipes close to the real thing is they both use the same ingredients that McDonald's uses.  There is actually a video in YouTube which shows a McDonald's Exec Chef making the sauce.  (Please click here to watch the video).  It shows you the ingredients, though it doesn't give you the measurements, haha.

This is the basic recipe I used.  I call it "basic" because you can start from this and adjust it to suit your taste.  In my case, I added more sugar, mustard and relish. 

Here is the recipe I used:

1/2 cup mayonnaise
4 tsp sweet pickle relish
1 tsp vinegar
2 tsp yellow mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbsp minced white onion

Just put everything in a bowl and mix it until well blended. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Let the mixture sit (one recipe suggested 8 hours) so the flavor comes out better. =)



For our slider, we just broiled the bun with cheddar cheese until it melted.  Then placed our "patty", THE special sauce and shredded lettuce!  Oh and some potato chips on the side =)

And voila. . . . 


A healthy hamburger fix right at home! =)

Note to self: Make some more patties.


Happy Weekend everyone!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...