Friday, March 6, 2015

Simple Pancit Canton

One of the things that makes me happy in my married life is I have a husband who cooks. . .  and I call it a blessing because he cooks well!  We are a tag team at the kitchen.  When it comes to cooking Filipino dishes, he is in charge!  Actually, I can cook Filipino dishes but somehow, his food tastes better, haha!    

Since his work schedule changed this month (from night shift to day shift), it only means one thing.   I am going to do all of the cooking now (which I don't mind).  Though I would still leave cooking Nilagang Baka and Pinakbet in his able hands!

Today is my first time to cook Pancit Canton.  I call this recipe a "Simple Pancit Canton" because it is exactly how it is.  Simple.  It has basic ingredients.  Other pancit canton recipes would call for fish ball or kikiam or even chinese sausage!  If I am craving for this kind of special canton, I would rather buy than make one, haha!

I am happy how it turned out!  Hubby loved it too.  We had a good dinner. . . this and Popeye's fried chicken!  You know what goes well too with this noodles?  Lumpiang Shanghai!  (Next time)

This may look simple but it doesn't mean it's not good.  As they say, there is beauty in simplicity.

Hope you'll like it too.  Happy Cooking!


Ingredients:

300 grams pork
Garlic, chopped
Onion, sliced thinly
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 cups water (or chicken broth)
1-2 tbsp oyster sauce
500 grams Pancit canton noodles
1 medium Carrots, cut in strips
A handful of green beans, sliced diagonally
Half of a Cabbage, cut in strips
Salt and Pepper to taste
Water for Blanching the vegetables


Directions:

1. Fill half of a pot with water and let it boil.  When the water is boiling, blanch the vegetables for a minute or two depending how you like your veggies.  After blanching them, put them in iced water or put them under a cold running water to stop the cooking process.

2. Saute the onion, garlic and pork until brown.  Add the soy sauce and water.  Simmer the pork until tender.  Add the oyster sauce and then simmer for a few more minutes.  Add the noodles  and toss it gently.  I know you'll probably say that there is a lot of water, don't worry. The noodles will absorb most of it.  =)

3. When most of the water has been absorbed by the noodles, add your blanched vegetables and mix gently.

4. Serve hot and pair it with something. . . fried.  Haha!


Enjoy!





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...