Sunday, April 30, 2017

Humba Saturday (not Zumba!)

I want to make up for the lack of post in the past few months that I am putting up another post today!  Yayyy!  (I feel productive, haha!)

I've been craving for Pork Humba (also known as the Visayan Adobo) for quite some time now but haven't gotten around cooking it because I'm the only who is fond of it.  The reason why I liked Humba was actually because of the banana blossoms, haha!

But I just have to give in to this craving so I decided to cook it (for myself, Hun!  No sharing! LOL )

So my Saturday morning was spent searching for a Humba recipe.  There are a lot of recipes available online but what made me choose this particular one was because it has tausi (salted black beans, which I love) in it.   It also said it was an "Original Bisaya" Recipe.  I am assuming the author was from the Visayas region, one of the main island groups of Philippines located in the southern part of the country.  So that means he knows what he is talking about, haha!

I had Humba before cooked by our Ate G, who hails from the Southern part of Philippines and I loved (and miss) her Humba!  So I am sure this recipe is a winner!


It looks like a winner, right?!

Guess what, it does taste good too!  If I had it my way, I would like to add more sweetness to it BUT Hubby doesn't like it too sweet so . . . we met halfway (one of the things we have learned in our 9 years of marriage).  

And here's another "Guess what?!!!"

Hubby liked this Humba!!!  Hmph. .  . which means now I got to share! Haha

For the complete recipe, please click on this link.

My personal notes:

1. I did not use star anise because Hubby and I don't really like the taste of it (but the Humba still came out good!).  I am sure using star anise would add another layer of flavor for you.

2. I used brown sugar instead of white which is less sweet. 

3. I used only 3 tbsp of tausi because I was afraid the dish might be too salty.  It's better to underseason while cooking because you can adjust everything (saltiness, sweetness, thickness of the sauce, etc) at the tail end.

Hope you are having a great Saturday like me!

Happy Cooking!

******************************************************************************
Side kuwento: 

My Saturday morning looked like this . . .


Outdoor cooking!

We started cooking outdoors last week after seeing my friend and a cousin do this (two different people).  Funny thing is, they are both from Las Vegas (is this a Vegas thing?  Haha, just kidding!) But you know what, this makes sense.  If you want your home to smell good (no amoy kusina), this is a good thing to do.

So thank you M and Kuya N and M for inspiring me to cook outdoors! =)  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...