Friday, September 4, 2015

LA Eats: Porto's Bakery and Cafe

In my earlier trips to LA, one of the things that friends told me to include in my "Things to Eat" in LA are In-N-Out (which I blogged about here) and the Cheese Rolls of Porto's Bakery.  During that time, the nearest Porto's to our home is in Glendale which was 30 miles away from us!  So you can say that I don't get to eat at Porto's regularly.  I get to try their goodies when friends bring some when we have potluck dinners.

Thankfully they opened one in Downey in 2010 which is closer to our city!

We got the chance to visit this special place over the weekend.

I called it special because more than the sweet and savory treats they are offering, what makes it special is the story behind the success of this bakery.

Porto's has an inspiring story because it is a realization of the American dream of the Porto family who left their home in Cuba in 1960 to go to America (they settled in California) in search of opportunities and a better life. With their determination and perseverance, they were able to achieve their dreams and are a living proof that wherever you go, whatever you do, whoever you are, as long as you put your heart and work hard, success would come to you.

We went there one Saturday afternoon. . .and looked quiet from the outside.



Until we got inside, haha!


This is just half of the crowd (because this is just half of the place).  The line is long (and I heard that it can get crazy especially during Holidays) but don't be discouraged, haha!  It moves pretty fast.  There is a dedicated lane for customers who are buying whole cakes and a different queue for bakery and other food items like salads and sandwiches.





I have one tip before you go to Porto's.  I suggest you go online and look through their menu already because there is A LOT. . . like  A LOT to choose from!  At least when you go there, you already have an idea what to get.    

During our visit, I kept it simple and got the most popular items in the menu:

The famous Cheese Rolls (I suggest you buy a dozen because they come out cheaper and because they are simply gooood)

These cheese rolls have Cream Cheese inside as a filling

Potato Balls


The potato balls have a minced meat filling which is seasoned with some spices and then fried.  


They also have Cheese and Spicy Potato ball which I love because. . . well, I love cheese!  This potato ball has 4 cheeses (Mozzarella, Parmesan, Asiago and Ricotta) mixed with roasted onions and a variety of peppers, yummmm!!!


Another item which friends have been raving about and which I haven't tried is their Tres Leches cake. 


It is a yellow sponge cake topped with a meringue (which was good, not overly sweet)



And has that milky, custardy-like syrup inside. . . .milk heaven!  (And I don't even like milk, haha!)


As I've mentioned, this place has lots of things to offer which means we are definitely coming back!  I want to try their Cubano sandwich (something I've never had!). . . oh and their Empanadas . . .and their Dulce de Leche cookies. . . and I heard their Fruit Tart is good . . . and. . . .the list just goes on.  Haha!


Porto's Bakery and Cafe
8233 Firestone Blvd,
Downey, CA 90241


For more details about Porto's products and locations, please visit their website.













No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...